Unexpected encounters with monkeys
Seriously funniest home video moments:
The first… I was sitting under the rotunda reading my book and I hear the rustling of a plastic bag in the direction of the BBQ… I knew no one was around, most were still asleep, and howard was having a shower, so I peeked over the railing, a little nervous I might find a big lion ready to eat me (really over active imagination!!) only to find a cheeky monkey staring back at me like he wanted to say…yeah what are you looking at! In one hand he had a bread roll…. OUR bread roll….which he was periodically feeding into his mouth, which was spilling over with bread…. The other hand was searching around inside the bag to see what else he could find. Not sure whether he spoke English or Chichewa but I fired him with a variety of different obsenities… which had little affect…. he returned with a steady stare of defiance…. I jumped up over the railing and ran towards him, which thankfully did the trick. He fled into the bushes rather quickly…. Not but 5 minutes later I had to put my book down again. Not impressed as it was a really good spot in my book…. And sure enough, the same monkey was perched up on the BBQ….well I think he was the same, or he’d called his friends over for a feed. He looked at me almost victoriously this time knowing full well I couldn’t reach him in time. He quickly lifted up the bag from both bottom corners, empting the bag of remaining rolls onto the BBQ…
Which he than grabbed and ran…. By the time I reached the BBQ, he had turned around, and I swear to you, looked at me and smiled, then disappeared into the bushes.
I tell you, he was so human like i stood with my jaw on the ground in absolute shock at the cheek of that monkey!!!
I wish it had been caught on video.
My next encounter…. I was wondering down the path towards our tent, but not looking in front of me as I was speaking to Kristine over at the tap… she also was looking at what she was doing, but looked up just as I ran into the monkey who came up to my waist…he also was looking in the other direction and obviously hadn’t heard me coming (not sure how that was possible…I think he must be deaf!) He got a fright and so did I, after we had both jumped, we sort of looked at each other and then both fled in opposite directions.
Oh so funny!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home