tj in malawi

Monday, September 24, 2007

Jollys on Safari


Despite having a tourist guide named Danger, nearly being charged by an elephant and nearly eaten by crocs (well sort of..) we had the most fantastic couple of days at liwonde national park, infact these things made it even more fun! Unforgettable scenary, astounding creatures and the BEST chalet in the whole place. On arrival we met a hippo standing next to our cabin, we went to sleep with the sounds of hippos, baboons, elephants and all sorts of other strange and wonderful sounds. Each morning we had a boat safari which meant lots of hippos, amazing crocodile sightings and the most majestic birds I have ever seen. Nearly impossible not to be astounded by the fish eagle as it sours across the sky. I love that bird. Just love it. so free and strong and beautiful. Oh if I could be a bird!

Each afternoon we took a sunset game drive that was ended with a picnic of drinks and popcorn somewhere in the park while watching the glorious sunsets. I may have accidentally used my flash on the elephants when instructed not to…. but it really wasn’t my fault…. Sort of… it was pretty funny, and adrenaline packed….The guard even had to reach for his riffle. Lots of nervous giggles coming from mum & I! Especially seeing as there were lots of baby elephants around with big mommas ready to protect!!! Oh but we did get great photos. It was SO much fun! In between these activities, we ate amazing meals with the most amazing view along the shiree river, we watched monkeys and warthogs and admired the damage elephants had done to trees and fences between our chalet and the main dining area…. Making us a little nervous about our walk back to home before sleep…. But oh so fun! The chalet we stayed in were amazing amazing…. except of course for our little meeting with a giant rat on the last morning. I met him really up close and personal when he looked at me from over the pillow. I have NEVER jumped out of bed so quickly. Caused a great deal of laughs, and much relief that we weren’t sleeping another night there. So our safari was a giant success. So close to amazing animals. It was unforgettable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home