Big News!?!
So very big news this week in Malawi, debt relief has been approved, which is groundbreaking news for the country. Essentially this has resulted in approximately 90% debt reduction, which means that an annual 150billion kwacha that was being spent on debt will now be spent on health and education (we hope) There are pretty strict guidelines for which Malawi had to pass to be eligible for debt relief which is rather complicated, but the fact that they passed these things is very important, but what is more important is the future and how this money is managed. I’m learning so much!!!
I wonder if anyone heard about that in Australia, or the rest of the world, bet that news didn’t make it to national nine news. Nor does most of what happens in Africa, which makes me sad, and kinda angry.
You know what I did hear on the world BBC news though… about a10 minute report on the death of Steve Irwin, the day it happened.
I mean don’t get me wrong, I was really shocked by this news, it is a terrible tragedy to hear of his death, especially as he has left behind a wife and young children. I guess its not really about that, it just got me thinking..
I wonder how many people died today, in a 5km radius to me from preventable causes. Deaths that no one will ever know about outside of their community, Deaths that have devasted families, maybe leaving children without parents, relatives, shelter or food.
I wonder.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home