tj in malawi

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Wohoo Aj & Jarrod are here!!!

Getting ready for my visitors was definitely adventurous, my fridge broke down about three weeks ago, so not only have I dealt with the frustration of that myself, I was getting really worried about not having a fridge for them, I finally got a fridge a few days before they arrived. As I left for the airport I had neither water or electricity… and after their marathon flight, I was really hoping that would be all back in order on my return. My little friend Tesha who insisted on coming to the airport proceeded to vomit all over the car I had borrowed to drive to the airport, so with a few stops, no clean clothes for her, and a very big language barrier between us, we certainly had an adventure. I was certain we were going to miss the plane arriving, but thankfully we made it in plenty of time to not only see the plane land and cry and wave like crazy (at the wrong plane) and then later at their plane which had been delayed. But we also managed to remove Tesha’s clothes, wash them in the sink, and get it semi dry again, so all was sweet. And by that time Tesha had fully recovered (for the moment) and was running around excitedly pointing at everything. When she managed to tell me she needed to go to the toilet, we set off only to have a rather fun experience where she screamed and then laughed everytime I put her on the toilet, so I was quickly reminded that it was all so foreign for her. We managed to run outside and find a bush (without getting arrested for public urination) and she was fine again.

Waiting for the guys to get through customs with their luggage was torturous, I couldn’t believe how much excitement and anticipation I had, seriously the most amazing feeling. It was just so unreal to have them on the other side of the wall, rather than the other side of the world... which is where everyone else I love and miss are, and have been for the last 5 months!!!

It is just sooo awesome!!! as everything has been since they arrived, so fabulous having their company!!

We were unable to open the boot of the car, so not entirely sure how we managed to fit all the luggage inside, but AJ certainly was crammed into the back with very little breathing space. Good practice for public transport here in Malawi, nothing like early orientation! They both looked amazingly spritly for the the little sleep they had over the past 24 hours!

We arrived back to the village and they had some quick intro’s before I took them to my house. I had to go back to work for an hour, and they settled themselves in, as well as hiding all sorts of fun goodies around the house that had been brought over for me!! It was soooo much fun!!! Still couldn’t believe they were there! It felt massively unreal! SOme village kids gathered to meet them, and as quickly as anything Aj & Jarrod fitted in fabulously, much loved by the kids!!!

It was rather terrible having to go to work the next day… I so just wanted to play with them!! But the next few days proceeded to be filled with all sorts of little bits and pieces...We had a trip to the hospital, lots of intros to new people, stove breaking, then working again, trip to town, dinner with a new volunteer arriving, late night adventures with a sick AJ, (who is now fine, and will always take his doxy with food and fluid and well before going to bed!!) Aj has spent time with henry making wheelchairs, Jarrod met with a clinical officer to learn a little more about health care here in malawi, they both cooked me food, have settled into life here in Malawi with occasional naps to get over their jetlag! The boys have been on a medical outreach clinic and then we had an Australia day gathering at my place with some aussies I had met down in blantyre the week before! Today we got stuck in the rain and had to jump over rivers of water with unpleasant contents inside!! its only been a few days, but so much more fun to be had, and i have a smile so giant i can hardly describe it!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Digger said...

Hey mate!
Jarrod sounds pretty pumped from the messages he's been sending me, can't work out who's loving it more!

Keeps telling me i have to come over n visit!

If I win some money on 100 vs 1 I might just do that! get Jarrod to explain it to ya, pretty cool show!

Plus I'll be wearing the red Can You Dig It shirt you guys made for me for my 21st! Will give you a mention for sure!

Was gonna wear the grey one, but wasn't sure if it'd be that appropriate...

Hey have you ever done a beach mission? Did my first one over Jan this year, loved it. Your friennd the sppech pathologist who works in Dandenong tried to get me to do the one at Balnarring, but did it at McRae, was top fun!

The HEard was great again this year, but AJ n Jarrod can tell you all about that, and all my other TV exploits!

Love reading bits of your blog when i can mate, great hearing all your news. That trip on the back of the truck sounded sweet!

Love ya mate

Digger

11:28 AM  
Blogger Rajoshmel said...

Hi TJ,
You won't know me, but I'm Lauren from York St. and it was great to hear how you're doing in the mission spot this morning! Bec Bartlett did a really good job and that's why I've been having a look at your Blog and reading a bit about how life is for you. I'm going to show my daughter (9) your hippo photos - her current favourite animal! Well anyway, best wishes, God bless you even more, and I'll send another message some other time!

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home