tj in malawi

Saturday, September 16, 2006

A Month in Malawi

In this time I have experienced 1 earthquake, 1 birthday in a foreign country (oh yeah and the earthquake was on my birthday…yay!!) I have seen over 200 kids at work, 3 of which had seizures in front of me, I have been to 3 different churches, all of which have been amazing, I can now hold a basic conversation (very basic) in Chichewa, I have walked an uncountable number of kilometers, I have eaten about a 20th of the chocolate, cheese and icecream that I usually would (these are my favourite foods as well!!) Eaten beans and rice nearly every second night, and an unknown quantity of Vegemite on crackers (the electricity has gone off many times mid-cooking grrrr), I have gone without running water for about 10 of these days and without electricity about 4 of them, Spent countless hours hand washing my clothes, I have read two books, lost the keys to my house about 5 times, forgotten the code for my padlock about 5 times, Boiled about 80 kettles of water for drinking, and seen about 50 gheko’s, I have laughed more in this month than in 6 months at home, and have met fantastic new friends!!!

It really is impossible to update you with everything that is happening! Today is saturday, i spent much of the night only half sleeping trying to listen out for the sound of running water... i had left my taps on so that i could have a shower...whatever time of night, i really didn't care... it never arrived... so i am spending my 6th day without a decent clean, salty bore water from a bucket really doesn't constitute a shower!!! but i have a giant smile that i can't wipe even without running water!! Today i spent the morning outside at a giant convention on the local oval with heaps of music and a visitng speaker from Balntyre, i got burnt, listened to awesome african worship and danced along with great enthusiasm, i then explored all the material shops with my friend wheka and tonight I'm heading home for some chocolate cake, as i found cocoa today in a shop, and HOPEFULLY a shower!!! but its unlikely, as there seems to be a broken pipe somewhere in the main system, so funning water could be a long way off!!

Next week will involve more hard work, in a great team of people, who I am loving working with! I have sooooo much to do here!! The needs are massive! Its both challenging and exciting! I am learning more about myself than i ever have before, i can say without a doubt that im in the right place at the right time in my life, and because i believe that to be true, i know there are many exciting adventures ahead!
I have times of being overwhelmed by things i see here, where my heart breaks, i have times where i get lonely - but that happened in ballarat too!, i have times when i don't think i have what it takes to do the work and live the life i hope to live here, but those weak moments have often proven to be the most amazing!

The first month has gone
right now I'm excited about each new day!

1 Comments:

Blogger Digger said...

Hey TJinMalawi!

It has indeed been way cool hearing your news, definitely way inspiring!

Was checking out my blog readers map thing today, and was very cool to see a lonely little spot in Lilongwe, Malawi! Woo-hoo!

Awesome news about the debt relief, quality stuff!!

Malawi will also probably be receiving a decent sum of money soon too from Catters, cos he's selling off all but 20 of his CDs, which is like 560!

Also chatted with a friend of yours Carol the other day, saw her at Teachers games, said she recognised me n came said G'day. Chatted for ages, was great.

She was trying to get me to do a beach mission this summer, which i'm seriously thinking about, as it doesn't look like Mongap will be running :( But thats a whole other story.

They sold Camp Acacia the other day too, which again is another story, but yeah, camping may look very different when you get back.

Keep up the good work champ!

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home