Back again...
So there's a car park at work which requires a waiting list before you are granted a swiper access card thingy, After about 9 months of working at the Austin, i was given the ok! Frankly, i was disappointed. How crazy that the staff car park only had about 50 spaces. It seemed strange. For months i would drive in and park somewhere along the U shaped carpark. I always thought it was a weirdly designed car park, there was a ramp that drove down the middle of the u shape, which appeared to have a couple of spaces down there, but nothing special. Out of pure habit, i always parked in the same spot. Largely due to my own conditioning response after years of loosing my car in carparks. I even stupidly left the carpark on occasions when i thought it was full. So imagine my surprise one rainy day when i finally ventured down the ramp... would you believe the car park goes underground for 7 whole levels... rows and rows... hundreds and hundreds... i was stunned. How hysterical. It did always puzzle me where all the people came from, everything now made sense. For months i would park down on the bottom level, just because i could, giggling at my own stupidity for weeks afterwards!!
If you don’t adventure outside of what has become habit, or you don’t explore beyond what you can see at face value, you miss out on ohhh so much! Yeah you take a risk at missing out on one of the car parks that are spare up above, but imagine if you’d never have looked. All those carparks waiting to be explored. Soo much to miss out on. Road less travelled my friend. (ok flaws in my analogy, cos clearly its my own flakey stupidity that missed what was glaringly obvious to everyone else...but still... the analogy sticks for me!)... sometimes out of your comfort zone isn’t just something scary or crazy, maybe its just that which you miss because you are so stuck in routine, or things you procrastinate. Everyone always has something they wish they could explore more in their life, maybe there’s a whole stack more than 7 layers of boring car parks.
The past two years i have lived a busy, fun, messy and transient life, but its served a purpose, and im excited by the next chapter. I know who I am, what im passionate about and trying my best to put that into action. I have lived in 12 houses, done a bit of travel, bought a house, finished my MPH and turned 30.
Today I am in Dehli. Tommorow I’ll catch the train up north for 6 hours to Dehradun and then find my way out another hour or so to the Herbertpur Christian Hospital. This next 6 weeks is an opportunity that i couldn’t have thought possible even a year ago. Its like my worlds have all combined and I have the opportunity to learn from, and share, with communities about disability and awareness in their current development programs. I have learnt that i love to reflect & process my experience by writing, so here it is.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home