tj in malawi

Friday, February 22, 2008

Last Week in Malawi

14th February, 2008


I sit just now on my verandah as the sun goes down on another fabulous warm Malawi evening. It’s the third night in a row without storm clouds which have been looming around every corner these past weeks in one of the wettest wet seasons for many many years. The stars are out tonight and im smiling at the amazing place that I am. I have enjoyed many moments such as this in the past 18 months. Smiling at where I am, what im seeing, experiencing and learning. Nothing beats moments when you breath in everything around you in amazement and just love life. I am nothing short of incredibly grateful, blessed and inspired. I’m reflecting on the farewell speeches made at work today when my friend Wesley declared coming to Malawi was “surely the best decision I have made in my life.” and I don’t think he’s far wrong. I’m not at all apologetic at my melancholic reflections this evening, as its far better than the teariness of the past few days. im incredibly emotion filled at present, but im quiet ok with that. I have given everything I had, and more, to my time in Malawi, so its only natural to be feeling a deep sense of loss.

Right now, my feet are dirty and aching from hours of dancing at the village fathers farewell this evening, and It will be biscuits for dinner and another bucket shower. In addition to the usual absence of hot water since late November, tonight there is no running cold water OR electricity. BUT…. I have chocolate (thankyou Laura!!!)

I have loads to update from the past 4-5 months, but I just don’t know where to start, and im sure the internet will not allow the uploading of what has become a thesis of updates waiting to be sent…. Besides, before long I can sit and chat for hours in person. What a bizarre concept.

As you will see, I have gone a little crazy on the photo collages and will soon be sending these out on email so you can see them better!

In just over a weeks time I will leave Malawi to spend a week in London before arriving home to Australia on Saturday March the 1st at 9:35pm.

To best describe how I am feeling is an impossible task right now. I am grieving for what has been the most amazing experience of my life, It hurts to say goodbye to people that have become my family, and communities that have become my home. It is heartbreaking to see the door closing on this chapter of the adventure which has meant everything to me this past 18months. However, I am also joyful, and grateful, and excited and anxious, and hopeful. These are a lot of emotions to manage all at once amongst many many practical tasks. Hmmm. I think its going to be a big week.

1 Comments:

Blogger David Westaway said...

I love your collages TJ. Your Christmas one is the current background on my computer.

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home