Sense of fashion....??
Today I met a lady at our workshops who was wearing a pale purple tafeta dress. She had put on her best clothes for the event! It had big puffy sleaves, was tight fitted down to the knees and then frilled out with a covering of lovely white lace. Mmm. Beautiful. Another lady was wearing a floral skirt with pastel pinks, purples and greens, her top was black and white polk-a-dots with a hot pink vest over the top, she had a green bag and her chitneji was red and black striped... AND that same day as I walked home I passed a young man who im certain thought he was really hot stuff as he strutted past me with his red leather pants, pointy shiny shoes and short white tie. And ts not just the locals.... Why do all tourists absolutely insist upon wearing the obligatory karki colours.... And leaparod print just isn’t cool.... especially in Africa on a tourist! Oh and some of the missionaries.... eek..... girls in giant grandma skirts wearing socks and sandles....and men wearing harry high pants jeans about 4 inches to short with white sneakers, and braces over a tucked in golf short!!
Please please please would someone take responsibility to ensure I do not loose all fashion sense on my return home...!!! I have never been a fan of fitting into the crowd, and i'm certainly not super stylish... but i also dont want to get beaten up! There are many things about life in Malawi that I hope to carry with me for ever..... The sense of style will not be one of them!!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home