tj in malawi

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Sad Farewells

I had to say goodbye to Lynne & Ros this week. They are two people I had never met until they arrived 5 weeks ago, and now I farewell two very dear friends on their way back to Australia (via Madagascar for another little holiday). I think I have mentioned them before…. Both were volunteers here in Malawi a few years ago, and have been living at SOS during their return visit. They were absolutely awesome! Lynne, about 5 years older than me is a teacher from Brisbane and Ros an OT from Adelaide the same age as my mum.

We went to Kathy & Steves for dinner their last night in town, first going to Amy’s kindergarten Christmas pageant at the African Bible College. It was so awesome, with the cutest little kids everywhere, and was a lovely way to start off Christmas celebrations! There were cute songs, and was complete with kids picking their nose, one girl taking off her dress mid song ( I guess she was hot) another falling asleep and two boys catching flying ants. We laughed a lot, and Amy was thrilled at her giant fan club waving enthusiastically at the back! We had take away pizza for dinner (which was a first for me in Lilongwe, and it was beeeaaauttiful!!) Kathy dropped us back at home around 10, but we were many hours before sleeping as I helped them pack and get ready to leave (reluctantly) They totally spoilt me in their time here!!! I think I cooked about 3 meals in the whole time they were here. I couldn’t fight with them, they were absolutely determined to bless my socks off!! Today they left, and I was more than a little teary! We have had sooo much fun together. They got evicted from the guest house after a double booking (with about 3 hours notice) so camped in my house for a week, which was sensational fun! We spent time creating new and interesting meal ideas, sharing photos, playing yahtzee, scrabble and bau, playing with the kids, adventuring around Malawi, and working like crazy making all sorts of therapy resources for work. We coloured in, sewed, cut, pasted. It was fantastic having adventuring buddies!! I realised how much I miss chatting with people, reflecting on my day, sharing thoughts and feelings with people. its funny, cos I loved their company, but it made me sad for home, especially in their departure!!

When I arrived home after they had left I found my house had been taken over by decorations, presents and a treasure hunt!

They had to purchase a few things for the guest house in the first few weeks, and they did so with the intention to give everything to me, which I was not aware of until I found my house full off cutlery, kettles, a good knife, storage containers, chopping board, wooden spoons, teatowels and all sorts of fun things!! They left me books, magazines and a giant box of awesome toys to play with kids!! There was heaps of stuff that I would never carry from town on the mini bus, or would ever buy for myself… cheese, biscuits, feta cheese, crushed garlic, soft drinks, pasta, powdered milk, treacle sugar, sweet chili sauce, pringles, mars bars (wohoo!), smarties, icing sugar, cocoa, olive oil (yay), candles, yeast, heaps of flour and tinned foods, john west tinned salmon (yummy!!), polenta, cous cous, herbs & spices, blackcurrent jam (which is served at my favourite café with my favourite cinnamon bagels!!!)…. And so much more!! Heaps of it was in a giant big basket and the rest was hidden around the house in a hilarious treasure hunt… all my Christmases had come at once!!! I laughed and cried a lot, pleased to have two great new friends, and sad to see them go!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home